Friday, June 17, 2011

School Desk Project

I was driving my normal route to work like I do every week, and I saw an old school desk on the side of the road.  From my car, it looked like it was in really good shape, so I stopped to check it out.  It was in great shape, it had the old desk top where it was made with layers of wood.  The layers were slighting coming apart, but nothing wood glue and clamps couldn't fix.   I wasn't sure at first what I was going to do with it.  I just knew I found a new project to work on.  Eventually, I thought my little niece Adleigh could put a desk like this to good use.  I asked my sister-n-law first, since it is a piece of furniture.  She agreed, said she wanted to get Adleigh a desk to read at. 

Here is it's original state, I started taping it to be painted.
 In the process & me having a water break.  It is Louisiana, it was hot!

 While the paint was drying, I glued one side of the desk top and used every clamp I could find.

Once I sprayed a second coat, and removed the tape.

I then took the desk inside, where it's nice and cool, so that I could begin painting scenes on the desk.  I wasn't sure what I was going to paint on it at first.  I wanted it to be able to be passed down to her future sister, Liahna, who will be joining the world soon.  And once the kids grew out of it, it could be passed on to another kid, boy or girl. 

I decided on a Sea scene on front, and a safari scene on the back.

Dexter says play with me!

In the mean time, I glued the other ends of the desk top. Once all the ends were glued, I did an initial sand.  I used wood filler for a few spots, and then began the sanding to a finer sand paper.  I stained it, and will seal with it deft satin.


Took several days off, because I need to work in a shop without a/c.  Did I mention I'm from South Louisiana?  Yep waaayyy too hot out there.  Though we finally got some rain and it made it bearable, so I got back to it! So I glued and clamped down the seat. 



I left this to dry and painted on the top of the desk and applied several coats of Deft Satin Wood Finish on the top.  I decided to keep the seat part wood.  Since it will be for little kids, they will probably climb in and out a lot and probably scratch the seat.  Wear would be more obvious on a painted seat than one that is stained and sealed. 
(Taken with fluorescent so the woods look like they don't match, when they actually do.)

Left the desk in the shop overnight to let it do it's thing. Next day I took it home to paint more on it.


This is the back.
This is the front.
I was starting to paint the back ground. but then I thought it looks so cool like that.  Now it's basically all finished and now just needs to have a finished coat over everything. I started with the seat.
While all that's going on, I'm continuing to spray multiple layers of the wood finish on the desk top as well as the seat.

After I sprayed that, I bought a finish for all the metal and painted parts. 

DONE!





Delivery!

video

It was so cute watching her climb on it.  Climb off, go get her book, climb on, climb off, go get another book, climb on.  She was adorable!

RECAP!


This project was so much fun, it took a while, but I learned a lot in the process!

7 comments:

Hurricane Pottery said...

Hi, Kelli, you did an amazing tranformation!

Kelli said...

Thank you so much! :D

sara said...

this is seriously amazing! I love the before and after... and you did it outside! I don't know how you did that, because in Oklahoma it's been unbearably hot and I imagine our temps are similar! You're so talented :)

donnarose said...

love all your before and after photos
awesome job

Sonya Johnson said...

Great restoration job you did on this desk, and so creatively done, too!

I'm sure your niece will be delighted to have it :).

Kelli said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words! :)

School Furniture said...

school desk furniture,school furniture manufacturer,school desk manufacturers, school desk furnitures in mysore and Bangalore, school desk furniturers in Bangalore and mysore.