Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Coffee Date 1 - Aileen Bennett

Coffee Date 1
 for the 30 Coffee Dates with 30 People Project

 

Aileen Bennett - Creating Clever



Pre-Meeting
When I first met Aileen it was at a NYE party.  She was very friendly, funny, charismatic, and of course, English.  Later I was told she was the mastermind behind the Do Good Project.  Then I found out she was a writer, blogger, business coacher, speaker, designer, do-gooder and much more.  I enjoy her daily clever blog and I promise you will too.

Post-Meeting
I've just filled my belly with delicious Carpe Diem gelato, then Aileen comes in with a warm smile and greets me with a hug.  What a wonderful way to start a coffee meeting.  This is exactly how the meeting continued, wonderfully.  She is one of the most geniune people I've ever met. She's a great example of where I'd like to be later in my life.  I don't necessarily mean, speaking, coaching, blogging and such.  I mean that she is happy, she knows who she is and loves what she does.  That's all I want out of life and I am willing to put in the hardwork to achieve it.   

I have always thought, how does anyone only do one thing all day everyday and not go crazy or get bored?  Aileen is proof that I don't have to do that.  That is the beauty of this century, I can do many different things and she encourages it.  Whew, that's a relief!  So it possible to be a designer, artist, painter, photographer, crafter, all in one.

She asked what my dream job and I gave her details of things I'd like.  Then I thought, if I could learn all kinds of new arts and crafts, that be any awesome job.  I get paid to play, experiment, learn and challenge myself, who wouldn't want that? 

We moved on to the topic of business cards, and examples of how people have gotten creative with them.  In particular we spoke about hers.  She has several, check them out here.  She has a blank “thank you” card, which she said is perfect for writing notes when giving to someone.  She has the “Let’s have coffee” card, in which she simply needs to hand to someone.  The reason she handed you the card is right there in your hand!  These work for what she needs them to do for her.  Now I am thinking to myself, "hmmm, what do I want MY business cards to do for me."  I have had trouble in the past designing a card that I felt represented everything I do.   So it's time for me to get my hands dirty and creative and really explore with business cards more.

We are all brands, she said, our actions represent who we are and what we are selling (or not selling).  An interesting concept, with which I agree wholeheartedly.  Aileen believes in helping people.  "Why wouldn't I want to help you?" she says.  It's true, and this is part of her brand.  Otherwise, why would she be sitting with me for coffee?

So she's left me with lifted spirits, new knowledge, and some confidence for my future.  So excuse me,  I have some more experimenting, designing, and research to go do!

No comments: