Monday, July 23, 2012

Exercise Equals Accomplishment

I was listening to a BlogcastFM this evening, Confessions of a Media Manipulator with Ryan Holiday, by .  While this was not the main topic, it was something I agreed with.  Ryan said while he was writing his book (for a constant 3 month period), he made sure to exercise 1-2 hrs a day.  Which in just saying that, it's like oh well yeah of course that's awesome.  Though this mindset that he approached it with was different (or at least different to me).  I am paraphrasing, but he said it was important to exercise everyday because that meant that no matter what else happened in that day, he ALWAYS accomplished something.  By going to the gym, he could do one more set of reps or bench a little more weight every time he went.  So no matter if you had a bad day and couldn't write anything, you still accomplished something everyday.  I never really thought of it that way, but I completely agree with the logic.  

So this weekend I decided that I am going to meditate for 20 minutes everyday.  I've set it in motion, it's happening now!  While awesome, or at least I think so, it's tough.  It's a challenge, which is part of what I love about it.  Though on some day's focus won't come as easily as other day's.  It still is an accomplishment to actually do that, I am debating on whether it is going to leave me feeling accomplished everyday.  I honestly don't think it will.  Sad, but true.

On the other hand, I have also been telling myself I need set a daily work out routine.  While of course it would be more beneficial to exercise everyday, what he said makes me think that I really need to do this.  To not only exercise and meditate everyday, but to also have that mindset.  That I accomplished those things everyday, even if I have a non-inspiring or unproductive day.


Now the hard part, implementing it.  


Time to step up my game.  

No comments: